While orthodontic treatment most often begins between the ages of 9 and 14, some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they’re treated early. If it appears that treatment will be needed, Dr. Griffies can advise you as to the ideal time to begin. This will give us the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way lips meet.
Problems to watch for in growing children
Lack of space causes crowding as teeth erupt.
Upper teeth stick out beyond the lower teeth.
Ectopically erupting maxillary molar
Lower teeth sit in front of upper teeth when back teeth are closed.
Gaps between teeth
Images and captions, courtesy of the American Association of Orthodontists.